"Beware of all endeavors that require new clothes." --Henry Thoreau




Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Business of Being Born

America has lost its way when it comes to giving birth. It is SO important that people watch this move and THINK about the message that it sends. Julian's birth was a beautiful, wonderful, self-guided journey. Brian and I did it in the warmth and comfort of our home, safely, naturally, together, and with the help of a wonderful, skilled midwife. It was spiritual and intense, yet calm. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

The bewildered, blank stares on the faces of the hospital staff trying to recall if they had ever seen a truly natural birth really says it all. Come on people, let's get back to our roots. Take control back from the machine.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Loved the questions this movie unearths. George and I watched it really early in my pregnancy; it confirmed our desire to birth at home and gave me something to refer to when people challenge me on the saftey of homebirths.