"Beware of all endeavors that require new clothes." --Henry Thoreau




Thursday, November 8, 2007

Extreme Elimination Challenge

No, I am not referring to that funny show with the unathletic, uncoordinated, masochistic Japanese folks who willingly subject themselves to all sorts of strange challenges that usually result in some sort of pummeling or face plant. I am referring to my diet and Julian's continual food intolerance issues.

After about two weeks of improvement we had a recurrence just in time for Brian to take off for a few days on business and leave me alone with Mr. Fussy Pants. Julian only slept for a few fragmented hours each night, which means that I barely slept at all. In a moment of weakness, I convinced myself that the Pecorino Romano in our fridge would be OK to eat since it was made from sheep's milk and not cow's milk. That was probably not a wise move on my part. So, in an effort to pinpoint the offenders based on what I ate in the days before Julian's tummy issues, I have now added tree nuts, peanuts, raw onions, and corn to the list of off-limits foods. After yet another trip to the grocery store and a few days on this new elimination diet, things seem to be looking up again. Too bad food elimination can't alleviate teething discomfort.

Eliminated foods:
Dairy
Eggs
Tree Nuts
Peanuts
Corn
Raw Onion

We'll see how it goes. If after 2 weeks things are OK, I can start to add back foods to see how he reacts. Of course, there is always the chance that I will have to eliminate more. Check out the picture below to see Julian's super grumpy, pissed off face (7 weeks). He may be small, but he means business.


No comments: